Are police bigots with badges or dedicated public servants hoping to make a difference in the world? What’s the status of police community relations? The answers depend on who you are. The Pew Research Center is a respected, nonpartisan fact tank. Take a look at their extensive study Behind the Badge: Amid protests and calls for reform, how police view their jobs, key issues and recent fatal encounters between blacks and police (January, 2017). I recommend reading the entire report, but if you’re in a hurry go here for a summary of the key findings.
- Preemployment psychological screening for cops
- I’m a police psychologist: What was I doing at San Quentin
- Law Enforcement’s Most Challenging Assignment: the job that inspired me to write The Fifth Reflection
- Cops and PTSD: Why you should care, what you can do.
- My crooked path to a career in police psychology